Prevent automatic SaaS renewal surprises – and unplanned costs – with this proactive renewal planning checklist.
• Identify all SaaS applications
Discover all applications within the environment.
• Attribute application ownership
Determine cost and support accountability by business unit, team, or employee.
• Collaborate to define renewal goals
Align with stakeholders such as IT, Procurement, and business units.
• Measure end-user application utilization
Measure end-user utilization, adoption, and sentiment to inform renewal planning with data.
• Regularly evaluate costs, spending, and total cost of ownership
Track employee-led and direct supplier purchases as well as continuing transactions to understand cost of ownership and overall value.
• Create a calendar with all renewal dates and notification periods
Document each application’s renewal date and notification period (and details like license quantity and consumption metrics) in a centralized system of record
• Develop proactive renewal plans
Create and document a strategic renewal plan for every application; prioritizing highest cost or mission-critical applications first.
RELATED: 5 SaaS Renewal Best Practices
• Activate renewal plan(s)
• Project growth of license and feature requirements
Consider pre-purchasing additional licenses or features at discounted rates as a hedge against future growth.
• Evaluate market and compare alternative vendors
Make side-by-side solution comparisons a routine process for renewals.
• Eliminate redundant applications
Eliminate redundant applications to reduce operational burdens.
• Level up application contracts and agreements where possible
Standardize widely deployed application types to leverage buying power and create custom contract terms.
• Utilize discounts and lock in pricing and discounts
Consider discounts possible under multi-year agreements and contract terms that limit price increases for subsequent renewals.
• Update key purchase details
Document any updates to details such as pricing, features, consumption metrics, features, and services.
• Update renewal calendar for notification timing and renewal date
Document any alterations to renewal dates or notification periods in your SaaS system of record.
• Continue reporting and collaboration with stakeholders
Apprise stakeholders regularly on key metrics to encourage proactive planning.
• Ensure continual discovery and renewal plan creation for all new apps
Monitor the environment to ensure all applications meet renewal planning criteria.